What about a saw cut down the length of the bushing? The rubber is what supports everything, and the outside shell would still be surrounded by the control arm bore, so I don't think it would compromise any strength.

That's just a thought anyway...

John

On Wednesday, October 4, 2023 at 09:41:19 AM EDT, 'James Douglas' via Chrysler 300 Club International <chrysler-300-club-international@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Anyone with any ideas short of milling the bore open?

From: 'James Douglas' via Chrysler 300 Club International <chrysler-300-club-international@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, October 2, 2023 15:33
To: Chrysler 300 List Server (chrysler-300-club-international@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) <chrysler-300-club-international@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: {Chrysler 300} lower control arm bushing - Problem

Hi All,

This hobby is getting less fun as more and more of the simple things are becoming a whole day affair.

I went to press in my lower control arm bushings on the ’64 and they will not go.

The control arms are all bead blasted, painted and ready to go save putting in the lower control arm bushing and its associated big pin. I tried to use the press and right away it did not feel correct. I pulled it out and tried it by hand with a hammer to get it started and it still did not want to go in.

I have the Chrysler – Miller special tool for it.

I then measure the bore on both control arms, and they are 1.502 to 1.503 in diameter. I then measure the bushing and it is 1.518 to 1.520 inch. The difference is over .015 inch!

I would expect .002 to .004 at the most for an interference fit. But 0.015 inch? It will never go in.  WTF?

Of course, if I got back to the seller of the front-end kit, I would get the, “…I have never had anyone complain…”  horse dung.

Anyone recently do lower control arms on a ’63 or ’64 and have a manufacturer and part number that works?

Thanks, James

---

---

---