RE: tell about your rear end

[AD removed for archives]
Erase wrinkles without Botox! Nexiderm SP is clinically proven to
reduce wrinkles by 68% Click here to start your free trial today.
caadfBNbOyW3Na/Nexiderm

Gary,

I just installed a complete '70 Road Runner rear end (drum to drum)in my
'64 Belvedere.  The '64 had a 742 case - open rear end.  The '70 had a
489 case, which is shorter, and it has a Sure-Grip, which has a larger
flange than the open rear end.  I was able to buy a U-joint that would
adapt the smaller driveshaft to the larger rear flange.  I installed the
Mopar adjustable pinion snubber, but because the 489 case is shorter, I
had to switch the rubber snubber to face front to back vs. side to side,
and even then it will just catch on the edge of the floor.

The perch width is the same on the '64 & '70, but I put in heavy duty
springs (6 leaf) with 2" additional arch.  I had to use a 4 degree shim
between the perch and the leaf spring to get the proper pinion angle.
If the springs settle from use, I'll probably switch to a 3 degree shim
in the future. My parts supplier felt that I needed the longer U-bolts
because of the 6 leaf springs + shims.  I didn't, and ended up cutting
off the extra length with a hack saw to make it look correct.

The brass fitting for the '70 rear is angled and located a little
differently, which moved the rubber hose a little closer to the muffler,
but I think it will be OK.

I switched the emergency brake cables from the old to the new backing
plates, and the emergency brake intermediate cable fit just fine.

The Sure-Grip used left hand thread studs on the driver's side, and I
couldn't find lug nuts to match the ones on my Torq Thrust II wheels, so
I switched those studs for ones with right hand threads....Brian

'64 Belvedere
Woodstock, IL.

[AD removed for archives]
Help us support US Troops ? Just Register Here.
caadjGFbOyW3Nf/Permission Data

----

bOyW3N.