RE: 400 build up

D J wrote:

> Bob,
>    Don did an up date on the "Old Reliable" book, that included an up
> date on the 383. He has been talking out loud about a 400 he turned
> into a 426. It takes a 383 crank, welded up and the then re-sized
> stroke and a 30 over bore on the cylinders, this equals 425.9 cubes,
> I believe it figures out too?
>    Don and I have both been looking for a 383 cranks.
> Dennis J.
>

> --- Bob Kinker <maxwedge11@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > This is for Don D.  Have you published a potent recipe
> > for building a 400?  I seem to remember something
> > about amending the Old Reliable book to include a
> > powerful build up on the 400. I would be interested in
> > in reading about that buildup!  I have a spare 400 in
> > my garage now.
> > Happy New Year!!!!!
> > Bob K
>

>       Dennis

Why not just buy a new stroker crank from 440Source? Why spend $200-300
on a 30-40 year old fatigued crank?I put a 3.915" crank in a 383 for
450".In a 400 block you'd get 470".A 4.15 Chevy pin crank is also
do-able in the 400 for 499".With good heads,600HP is a piece of cake.

  Dave Walters
  Denver, Co.

  64 Bel Wagon
  64 Savoy Post