Spark plug lesson learned

I'm trying to get my dual-quad 318poly tuned properly. Last week-end George and I replaced the plugs, Autolite 85's, and changed the oil and filter. I've put a few miles on it and it does appear rich. Also it's getting back into it's running hottish mode and wanting to diesel. So I thought maybe I'd try some colder plugs and bought the Autolite 65's. When I opened the pack I saw that they probably would not physically fit. They are very long. I tested one in comparison to the 85 on a spare head and can see it sticks 5/16" deeper into the cylinder and below the top of the deck. I ran a piston up in the cylinder, set the plug at .080 and gently screwed it in. Sure enough it did contact the piston as witnessed by the electrode being pushed down. Therefore I definitely cannot use the 65's. I wonder if there's a colder one that would work or will all colder plugs have that longer reach? The 75's have been superceded by the 85's and are not available.

Running rich causes dieseling and heat so I took the chart from my Edelbrock manual and reset the carb one stage leaner equal across the board. My next step will be in the ignition timing area. I'm going to try to be sure it's set right in respect to advance/retard and try to figure out the curve issue.

I ordered rear spring bushings too so I can get the '68 Roadrunner springs installed asap. About $3 each at NAPA.

Wish me luck !  :)

  Rich Kinsley '64 Dodge Polara 4 door 318poly w/goodies

----