Re: 1962 413?

There is always the possibility of going to chrysler historical and paying the $45.00 to have the info they have on the vin and in that they will tell you what dealer got your car. you then can see if the dealer is still up and going and if so he may well have old sales records of the car. I bought a 64 vert shell and track it down and found the original owner and went from there to locating lots of good info. There are many pack rats out there who hold on to stuff. NOT THAT ANY OF US HAVE LOTS OF STUFF!!!! it might be worth a try dave O ----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill" <hemirr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, September 29, 2007 5:39 PM
Subject: RE: 1962 413?

Excellent information Lupe.  And I know Bill Watson will always come through
with some good information for us too.  Whenever members of this group see
claims about '62-'65 cars, we often debate the possibilities and try to
figure out things.  We had quite a thread some time ago about a claim of a
'65 max wedge car for instance.  The question I personally wondered about
your auction was whether there were factory installed 413 inline 2X4
engines, or whether they were dealer installed as Mr. Govier said, and
whether you had documentation or were going by anecdote.  I figured Mr.
Davis would have an opinion.  I know Mr. Govier has made mistakes, for
example he had the wrong '62 max radiator part number in earlier editions of
his part number book, and corrected that in later editions.  Of course Mr.
Davis might make a mistake too.  Lupe you have documentation already and are
going for more, that's great.  The Car Life article described by both you
and Bill W. seems to imply that they had factory installed engines like
this, so I wonder if we are still going to have some mystery for now.   Lupe
you said that you believe you have a car with a dealer installed engine.
Just sifting all these things, I'm not sure that Mr. Davis' reply
contradicts that, he seems to be saying that there weren't such engines
factory installed.   With regard to him saying that there were still cars
being discovered not in his new books, he told me a few months ago that he
looked at every '62-'65 record, and every max car is listed in his books.
He seems to reiterate that in his reply I posted.  But it would seem that a
dealer installed engine is not going to be documented on the card or data
plate anyway.  So, the key is that you have some hard information on your
car.  And to me, that makes it a rare, interesting, and authentic car of its
type.  What the heck, I just went to the eBay auction you mentioned and
bought the magazine, I love collecting stuff like this, especially anything
about '62's.
    I know it took me several years to reach the point I am now on my car
with provenence; to begin with I had only the anecdotal information from
Roland Osborne, first when he published the articles on the car in his
magazine back in '93, then when I met him in '95 at Rick Allison's shop near
Indy to buy the car from him.  He had no actual documentation of any kind,
so I reckon I took a chance on it.  I tried to write the son of the guy who
had been said to have owned it through the '60's and '70's, but got nowhere.
 Next, I got the data plate and VIN decoded by Mr. Govier.  At first I was
satisfied, then thought what if someone merely put the plate on another car?
 In '62 the VIN wasn't on the data plate of course.  Even though all the
equipment was there, etc etc I still wondered.  In '99, when I began
restifying the car, I stripped the engine compartment to bare metal and had
a chance to look at and photograph the order number stamped into the
radiator support, and it matched the number on the data plate, so that
seemed satisfactory to me.  Then I bought Mr. Davis' '62 book and VIN book,
and found my VIN.  Its the last one for '62 plymouth max cars, which agrees
with the scheduled production date being the last one listed for '62.  I
still wish I had been able to make contact with that reported owner's son
just to get what would probably be some great history on it.
   You mentioned Indiana trooper cars, I had a little experience with one.
I parted out such a '62 back in 1971, which had a 361.  From this car I got
the big block engine brackets, transmission, and radiator I needed to
convert my first '62 from a 318 poly to a big block.

Bill & Kathi Parker, South Central Indiana
'60 Chrysler Saratoga kustom; '62 Plymouth Max Wedge; '64 Dart convertible;
'65 Barracuda \6; '65 Imperial; '68 Barracuda FB 340-S; '69 Barracuda FB now
360; '70 Challenger now 440; '72 Cuda '340

Test your celebrity IQ. Play Red Carpet Reveal and earn great prizes!
http://club.live.com/red_carpet_reveal.aspx?icid=redcarpet_hotmailtextlink2

----

----