Re: Por 15

On 10/28/07, Brian Safford <hzf9vv@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Is POR15 a good product to use if all I'm interested in is stemming the
> rust-tide?  I'm considering spending the next few months/years
> completely disassembling my '62 Dart and taking care of whatever rust I
> find.

I've used it on both my old Mopars, and it works well.  A few things
to remember... Don't get it near anything you don't want covered; the
spills and drips are impossible to clean up completely (including you
hands - wear gloves).  If you want to use multiple coats, put the next
coat on before the last is cured; after it's dry, nothing will stick
to it.  And if you want to use normal paint over it, put a light coat
of primer on before it's completely dry.

If you get the larger cans, put two clean layers of saran wrap between
the lid and can when you're packing up.  The next time you open it,
one will stick to the lid and the other sticks to the can, and you can
still get it open.  They also have really small cans that makes it
easy to use it all up for one job.

And just remember that after you're all done, the rust is still under
there.  It won't get any worse, but it's not like this stuff turns it
back into steel.

> Regarding the disassembly ... would appreciate comments / suggestions on
> how best to store the various components while I'm waiting to work on
> them.

For little things like screws and bolts, I use ziplock baggies.  Go
get a BIG box of them, and write onto the bag where they came from in
permanent marker.  Don't feel like you're being wasteful when you're
just putting the two screws that hold down the mirror into a bag by
themselves; use lots of bags so it's really clear where they all go
when you're putting it back together.  For larger things like
instrument clusters or trim, I wrapped them in newspaper and put them
in boxes.

-- Tony  brummett@xxxxxxxxx
'64 Dodge 440
'65 Dart GT