RE: Cleaning / Refinishing parts

POR 15 makes an alkaline based cleaner called "Marine Clean".
Certainly there are other products out there just like it, but this stuff is water based, environmentally
friendly, and works GREAT when mixed with HOT water. Use this stuff after scraping the worst of it with a putty knife.
After de-greasing, move on to sandblasting, then acid prep with a product such as R-M No. 801 Metal Conditioner.
Now your metal is etched and ready for primer or POR 15 paints or whatever you want to use. I recommend epoxy primer. You can put just about anything over that and you'll be set for years...at least until your kids sell off your pride and joy for far less money than what you put into it (Another topic, Another Time) !!!
Best of luck, Donny, 64 Belvedere> To: mml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx; 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx> From: Y1TopBanana73@xxxxxxxxx> Subject: Cleaning / Refinishing parts> Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 08:10:47 -0500> > I finally got the suspension stripped from under my 73 Dart Sport and> now the cleaning begins. Any ideas on cleaning / de-greasing the> k-frame and other suspension? I don't really want to hose it down @> home since I have a well. Should I just take it to the local car wash> and power wash it? They will love that!!!> > Next thing what should I use to refinish it? I want it to look good> and obviously I want the finish to last. What are my options besides> powder coating for durability? I have not been very impressed w/> POR-15. It comes off very easily. This goes for control arms, etc too.> > Thanks in advance.> > Bill M