Steering coupler & shift cable ??

I have a couple of questions as I get ready to re-install my engine
which hopefully will be done in a week or so.
First, the steering coupler which is the little rectangular box shaped
component on the bottom end of the steering shaft where it attaches to
the steering gear.  The seal on mine is shot and should be replaced.
What is the purpose of this piece?  Is it a type of u-joint?  And to
replace the seal will I have to remove the shaft from the column housing
and install it from the top or steering wheel end?  In order to access
the inside of this it looks like I would have to pry open the tabs on
the "lid" to get inside it. It seems like the end of the shaft inside
this coupling is "flared" which might not let you install the seal from
the bottom end.  It doesn't really speak to this in the FSM.
Second, The shifter cable (automatic).  The sheathing has been melted
through about a foot above where it goes into the transmission.  Will I
get a fluid leak through this from the inside of the cable?

Happy 4th

Paul L.
'63 Sport Fury
440/727