I was running 9.0:1 in my old 273 with the MP -761 cam, and I always wished I had built it to 9.5:1. I had a set of ported, gasket matched -302 heads on the motor. The chambers were also equalized to within 0.2cc of each other ~62cc.
LD4B intake and 340HP exhaust manifolds, Holley 4160 carb.

PP

At 07:37 AM 9/12/2008, you wrote:

I took your advise for my '65 Dart 273, Don. Ordered the XE256H cam from Summit today. I was surprised to note that it was less expensive than by going through Comp cams directly. Heads are back from the machine shop. Received my head gaskets yesterday through (believe it or not) Amazon.Com. Compression ratio now specs at 9.3:1. Quench could be better though. Headers are on order from Harold at Spitfire. A lot of good and bad press on him. Hope that he comes through. Comp Cams model indicates 259.5 HP @ 5000RPM. 310.7# @ 4000RPM. Hope to be consistent and reliable at low operating costs even if the slowest car at the track.

'65 Coronet 500 stroker

-----Original Message-----
From: Don Dulmage <big-d@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 12:44 pm
Subject: cam

The compression ratio is going to be the bugaboo. You will need a cam like the
exreme energy comp with a snubbed intake duration. . Maybe XE256H
I ran the /6 rail yesterday. It was wonderful tire blistering pass with nothing
breaking It went so well I made the on shakedown run and deceided to load the
car ad go home and smile. I need to change a few minor things.(like the old
cracked 9 inch slicks) Carbs worked flawless and the little six actualy scard me when the tires broke lose at about the 60 foot mark . I couldnt tell where the eighth was so i ran the full quarter . I didnt have my open face helmut strap tight enough so the wind was trying to pull it off my head by the traps and my driving glasses had blown up inside the helmut on top of my head. I could hardly see but i didnt care! i stayed in it till the traps. Sure is a lot of fun for a
washed up ol fart. Thing sounds ike an old airplane.
I hope you have as much fun with you car and your 273.
Don

----
Please address private mail -- mail of interest to only one person -- directly to that person. I.e., send parts/car transactions and negotiations as well as
other personal messages only to the intended recipient, not to the Clubhouse
public address. This practice will protect your privacy, reduce the total volume
of mail and fine tune the content signal to Mopar topic.  Thanks!

----