RE: 452 Heads Question

All I can offer is my own opinion, which is not necessarily the opinion of
management, etc., etc...

I think the bigger valves are good bang for the buck, especially on the
exhaust side.  This of course is all relative to your combination, but
generally anything you can do to improve flow makes more horsepower.  These
valve are indeed stainless, and are back-cut and swirl polished to smooth
airflow.  Bear in mind that the combination is way more important than the
individual parts, that is to say how the parts will work in concert.  Ahh,
what I wouldn't give for a little Dulmage guidance right now...

Again IMHO, windage trays are cheap horsepower when using a stock pan.
Matching chambers is a waste of time unless you're trying to kill a
Stock/Super Stock record, IMO roller rockers are way oversold as to how much
power they make.  We're not building small block Chevies here...

It sounds like you're on the same track that I would be on... make some
power with the heads and intake and build the big short-block later.  I
would install new rod bolts for the sake of the shortblock, but other than
that everything should hold up fine.

You can select your springs ahead of time, and don't lose alot of sleep over
ramp speed, cam dynamics, etc.  Just tell the supplier the lift and the type
of cam (hydraulic, mechanical, etc) and they will fix you up with the right
springs.  I personally get all my stuff from Mancini Racing, but any speed
shop or cam supplier worth their salt will steer you in the right direction.
I agree that the old Direct Connection .590 cam is old technology, but
Chrysler was taking full advantage of the lifter diameter and as Joey said
these cams still make a good showing.  I'm gonna stab my old .590 into the
new 499ci stroker in a couple of weeks and I'm sure it will make me proud :)
Hard to justify hundreds of dollars for the new whiz-bang cam of the month
hoping to pick up a tenth...

Again, just my $.02 worth, your actual mileage may vary.  See your dealer
for details.

SC