To: <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, May 25, 2009 9:39 PM
Subject: RE: them exhaust studddddddddds

I had a b***h of a time getting my exhaust studs/bolts to seal on my
440.  I used what my machinist suggested which leaked.  I used Don's
suggestion of the Permatex Ultra Copper which I ended up re-doing more
than once on one or two stubborn ones.  I tried bolts.  I tried studs.
I ended up with a combination of the two.  I eventually got it but there
was a lot of "blue air" in my garage getting there.  I talked to my
machinist about it as there was one in particular where the threads were
suspect.  He said he was sure all of the threads were good and added
that you shouldn't use the Ultra Copper because silicone & anti-freeze
"don't get along".  So far so good but I have very few hours on the
rebuild.

Paul L.
'63 Sport Fury
440/727
http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.org/ml-lennemann63.html

Jack Cheek wrote:

hi all
getting closer to firing up the 440 bored .030 over with max wedge set
up..484 lift .284-.284 duration something like that any way.well i
picked up a set of max wedge exhaust manifolds
over the week end.got my 3705s rebuilt and back--they look excellent.
QUESTION FOR YOU ALL
would you put lock tight on the exhaust studs before install.
also ddoes any one have the flanges that match the max wedge  exhaust
(were the pipes hook to the 4 bolts or how i might find two.
thanks all for your time
thanks jack
63 polara 500 hard top
446-with max wedge top end