RE: Convert AC

Ollie,

Nice information on your system.  I have looked at Vintage Air, do you
recall which unit you installed?

Are you using manual controls or is your unit electronic?

Did you need to pull the dash?

Was the alternator upgraded actually needed or just a very nice thing to
do at the time?  I don't see where there would be much of an increase in
current draw, the clutch on the compressor is the only  added item
unless the fan draws that much more current.

I understand the over heating problem, I have a new radiator, hope it is
enough.  (might be just a hope and have to shovel more money at it)

Thanks
Dennis C.

Ollie wrote:

> I have a Vintage Air heating/cooling unit in my 65 Satellite. It is a
> Sandair compressor. It will freeze you out or burn u up depending on the
>
> mode. It is a very easy installation. Take out your original
> unit.....trash
> it, .bolt in new unit with brackets provided. A bit of fab required. Had
> fab some adaptors to use the original defroster vents. (I have the dash
> pop
> up units for defrost and air,  as my car was  factory air.) Their
> adaptors
> hooked up to the kick panel and crotch cooler vents. If you don't have
> these
> their below dash vents are ok. Bouchion Performance has the brackets and
>
> pullies you need for the compressor. Hook direct to battery,  1 wire,
> with
> provided fuse link, and you are good to go.  You will need a couple more
>
> holes in the firewall, factory connections will not line up. Mount the
> controls inside the vehicle....mine are in my dash, I have seen them in
> the
> glove box...... after mounting dryer, condenser and hoses.......vacuum
> pump,
> add Freon...
> Start your engine my Mopar friend, Turn the unit on..enjoy the cool air
> for
> a few minutes........as u watch the temp gauge climb...oh my.......they
> did
> not mention this in all the sale brochures....!!!
> Time to cure your engine temp problems.........me...3 years
> later....custom
> built aluminum radiator, custom cooling fan, performance water pump and
> thermostats, holes cut in the hood under the hood scoop......100 amp
> alternator.....mines running cool......mom's happy and I am in a
> constant
> nervous sweat watching all my gauges....
> In answer to Gary H.....if mom does not want to ride in my classic
> Mopar...
> w/classic air, 4 windows down, wing vents open..leave her at home....IF
> mom
> must go........buy a new Challenger and lets both ride in modern
> style......with AC, stereo, heated seats and all the amenities....it
> will be
> better in the long run!!
> Good luck with your AC installation......
> Ollie.....this has moved way past $.02 ....its now worth $50.......cheap
>
> when you consider all the money you will spend on your AC....

1996 Dodge Ram 3500 Van Conversion
1964 Plymouth Belvedere 318 Auto
1963 Plymouth Sport Fury 383 4-speed
1949 Dodge Pickup 289/C4 soon to be changed
1998 Honda Valkyrie Standard

----