RE: Axles and Rust

To get to the nitty gritty, Dave, it really depends on where the pitting
is located.

If it's in the small section between the end of the spline and where the
axle steps up to a bigger diameter, then it's potentially a weak point
in the axle. Anywhere else it cannot do any harm. Just in that narrow
point behind the spline, which is there for what's called 'compliance'.
If it's an axle without that necked down section, as some C-body and
pickup axles are, then the weakest point is actually in the splined
area, so anywhere other than in the spline on these axles and you're
safe as houses.

Even if it's on the necked down section should you have one, it's very
unlikely to be a problem in road use. Slicks and 450hp might be
different.

By the way, following a lead recently posted here, I found someone
selling aftermarket axles for $219 a pair. They come in two lengths and
they cut them off to suit your needs.

Ray

Dave64 wrote:

> I'm working on swapping a '68 8 3/4 into my '64 Belvedere - getting it
> all ready.  I have it all apart, and it was dry - except for water at
> one time!  So there's some rust.  I cleaned up and painted the housing -
> it looks great now.  The axles have some rust with some pitting.  I
> soaked the spline end of one in white vinegar, and it really cleaned up
> nicely after a 5 day soak.  I'm figuring on using a wire brush on the
> rest of the shafts and then putting new green bearings on.
>
> My question is, should I go through all of this - spending about $100.
> on the bearings, seals, etc... to end up still having axles with some
> pitting (but not too bad), or should I spring for new Strange axles
> complete for about $400.?  I'm thinking I can get by with the old axles
> and save some cash - especially with a stock Poly for now.  Eventually I
> may want to put stronger axles in it when I put big block power in the
> car - but that's a long way down the road. I'm looking for some sage
> advice - that I know you guys can provide.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

The stories of youth, of the burden of time, and the death of
devotion.HCK

----