Re: Paint codes

The big point to remember is that the tints used thirty / forty years ago are not the same as used today.  Not only have the type of paints changed, but so have the tints.  And, the tints differ from manufacturer to manufacturer.  So the formula used by Ditzler most likely will not work with DuPont paints and tints.

Going back to 1937, for Dodge Blue -

Ditzler - IM-1776 -
26oz Chinese Blue
2 oz White
2 oz Dark Maroon
1 oz Black

DuPont - 246-31237 -
25oz Prussian Blue
3 oz White
1 oz Dark Red (Oxide)
less than 1 oz Black

Rinshed-Mason -
28oz Prussian Blue
2 oz Lamp Black
less than 1 oz Deep Maroon
less than 1 oz White

Acme - 318 -
24oz Prussian Blue
1 oz Black
2 oz Red Oxide
1 oz White

Although Acme, DuPont and Rinshed-Maon have a tint called Prussian Blue, that does not mean they are the same tint.  I chose 1937 as I have extremely few formulas for post WW II colours.

Many paint supply companies have readers than can scan a paint and come up with a formula using modern paints and tints.  The colour may not always be dead on due to the changes in paints over the years, though.  And there are some shades that just cannot be done today.

The PPG code for Ermine White, 8293, was assigned to that colour back in 1962 for the lacquer, enamel and acrylic paints used at that time.   Dodge called it Polar White while for Chrysler and Imperial it was Oyster White.  The same names were used in 1963.

Ermine / Polar / Oyster White for paint company codes -

Mopar - C-9162-ES

Ditzler - DQE-8293 (enamel), DAL-8293 (lacquer), DDL-8293 (acrylic lacquer)

DuPont (US) - 93-95678 (enamel) and 4276-L (lacquer)
Acme - 22-9060 (enamel) and 9060 (lacquer)
Rinshed-Mason (US) - A-1462

DuPont (CDN) - DU-847 (enamel) and CA-847 (lacquer)
Rinshed-Mason (CDN) - 262CC91 (enamel) and 62CC91 (lacquer)
CIL (CDN) - 2331-2245 (enamel) and 2231-2245 (lacquer)

Bill
Toronto, ON