Re: Speaking of power steering...

Check with your O'Reilly auto parts, my local one can make that hose while you wait.  Only problem, not all of them do hydraulic lines.

-------Original Message-------

From: Bob
Date: 1/13/2014 9:57:33 PM
Subject: Re: Speaking of power steering...

Thanks for the comments, folks.  At first glance, the BOG doesn't seem to offer much for my '63 &'64 Darts, though I know there are many common parts.  I am also a member of the E.V.B.C. and have gotten lots of info there as well.  Here's what I have at this point in the conversion, and what I think I know from the research I've done.

 Chrysler P/S pump to Borgeson steering box.

Cellphone picture, please excuse the glare.  What is shown here is the Chrysler (Federal??) P/S pump, the Borgeson steering box, the pressure and return hoses, and a couple of wires I should have moved.  The only remaining step (I think) is to connect the pressure hose to the box - wherein lies the current challenge!  The hose kit I got from Borgeson is made of some VERY stout steel braid reinforced rubber hose.  The return line was too long, but Mr. Sawzall fixed that lickety split!    The pressure hose is the right length, but as the photo shows, is turned about 180 degrees and cannot be threaded into the fitting on the box.

When I emailed Borgeson, they said I was supposed to have used the P/S pump that has the pressure hose at the rear.  Nice to find that out at this stage of the project (NOT!!)  Looking at the picture, it seems to me that had I used a Saginaw pump (outlet at the rear) the hose would have been to long and the 90 degree bend at the pump end would have been unnecessary.  Like the warden in the movie Cool Hand Luke said: "What we have here is a failure to communicate."  I think that had I been asked what P/S pump I planned on using, the proper hose could have been supplied.

At this point, I'm leaning strongly to cutting the pressure hose and splicing it with a double barbed coupler that will allow the Borgeson end of the hose to rotate, allowing the fitting to thread into the steering box.  I have no idea what pressure is present in that hose, so I'm hoping that a couple of hose clamps on each end of the coupler will hold it.  If it leaks, but otherwise connects properly, there are local hydraulic shops that should be able to use the spliced hose for a pattern.  I just hope there is not enough pressure to cause a blowout at the coupler and spray P/S fluid all over the place.  I haven't made the cut yet - anyone want to holler STOP!!

As always, your knowledge, experience and opinions are appreciated.

BC