318 Poly refresh time - Cam and gear drive info, please

318 Poly refresh time - Cam and gear drive info, please

OK, my engine builder now has time for my poly. My Dart is going to be a driver. We have plans for things like coast-to-coast trips in it, etc. So while I would like to wake it up a bit, performance is secondary to economy.

The engine we’re using was built a long time ago according to the calendar, but not long ago according to the odometer on the car it came from. Ran very smooth with no sign of smoke at all, so we’re not anticipating having to get into pistons, etc.

What recommendations does anyone have for a cam? If we can wake it up a bit, and improve mileage, that would be great. It’s a factory 4-bbl motor, going to be running the original steel 4-bbl intake. Stock manifolds, full dual exhaust with “bottles” (look like Cherry Bombs, use non-restrictive baffles). Sticking with the stock rear end. I do not know what gears are in it, but it “wakes up” around 35 MPH, and pulls good from there on up. Part of that lack of bottom end pull is due to the 275/60/15’s on the rear, but I’m good with that. I don’t need to spin tires off it, or impress anyone light-to-light. I’m sure that the resulting ratio is going to equate to better highway mileage.

Also, I’m finding mixed answers to gear drive questions on the ’Net. Can anyone confirm that there is a gear drive set-up available for the poly? I know some people don’t like the noise, but I don’t mind it. I would like to go that way if I can and it’s not a fortune.

My engine guy is a very knowledgeable guy, but I’m going to have to have some ideas of my own going into this build. He builds performance engines way beyond what I’m looking for for my Dart, so I know I’ve got my work cut out form me not letting him turn it into some pavement pounding 400+ HP beast. As fun as that might be, I don’t want to be footing the fuel costs on a cross-country trip….  :P

Thanks,

Ray