Re: 318 Poly refresh time - Cam and gear drive info, please

Re: 318 Poly refresh time - Cam and gear drive info, please

Ray, I had a new 65 Belverdere11 with 318. 3-speed, 3.23 gears in school. I installed a 58 318 cast 4 barrel carb intake and the 58 AFB. I installed duals with turbo mufflers and a floor shift. It ran OK but not that great. In 65, no one made advance kits. I pulled the distributer and slotted out the advance weight slots and used needle nose pliers to stretch the advance springs some. I left the vaccumn canaster stock and connected. I really got lucky with that combo. I could outrun any 383 auto or 4-speed from 0 to 100. I never got beat. My milage was 21-22 mpg. I would suggest keeping what you have, less gear drives, pay close attention to your valve adjustment and send your distributor to Don at FBO Systems to have your distributor recurved and set up. I think you'll be surprised and pleased at the power and good gas millage you'll have.  Hope this helps.
On Mon, 2 Jun 2014 08:19:48 -0500