Re: What is 65 Monaco engine vin numbers

Re: What is 65 Monaco engine vin numbers

1)  Twenty years ago a friend had taken his Canadian-built 1964 Valiant into a transmission shop for some repairs.  The changed the transmission and the torque converter and after had problems starting the car.  I knew the Canadian slant sixes used the old-style Prestolite starters while the U.S. versions used the Chrysler-built reduction gear starters.

Checking the 1964 parts book, I found out that the torque converters and ring gears were different with the unit used in Canadian-built cars being the same unit used in 1961.  That was when I found out about the differences between the two style of starters and the related ring gears.

At the time I was driving a 1965 Valiant Signet hardtop (model AL1-H - and Canadian 1960-66 Valiants were NOT Plymouths) with a slant six - and Prestolite starter.  Spoke with their man at the service desk about the Valiant transmission and found out they were a franchise operation of an American firm and all their manuals, etc. came from head office.  And their books had no notations of any Canadian variations.

The same person mentioned the ball and trunion joint and that some 1965 models had a slip joint instead.  Also, the slip joint units did not have a rear pump.  Thus the source of my misinformation.  Would think someone who works on transmissions would know a little more.

2)  The codes on the tag are used for engines available in production.  If the engine installed in a car is not on the list available engines for that model, "99", is used to note a Special Order was placed for the engine.  The only problem with the "99" code is that it is used for any engine not available in regular production.   If someone ordered a US-built Monaco with a 318 or a 426 hemi, the engine code would be "99" for both.

So, either a mistake was done on the tag (would not be the first time) or the engine in the car is not the original unit.

Bill
Vancouver, BC