Re: vehicle I D tag

So what did the "S" stand for? Inquiring minds want to know?
DJ

On Sunday, December 18, 2016 6:37 PM, Ray Bell <raybell46@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I believe it is possible I have seen this. But it was all a long time ago.

I was exposed to a lot of British cars during the fifties and sixties as my father did a bit of 'backyard' car dealing. Dad owned a 1924 Morris in the late thirties, so he was no foreigner to British cars. A Rover was among the cars that followed the Morris.

But when we came up against this choke knob with an 'S' on it he didn't know what it meant. By no means was the term 'strangler' well-known among Australians, steeped as we were in the use of British cars.

Bewildered by this, I went to Google. I found two sites which mentioned 'Strangler' as the British name for the choke, both sites were US sites, the one I could follow was Hemmings guide to British automotive terms and it wasn't in that listing. But it came in among the comments and was immediately denied by a Brit who said, in short, it was only used many years ago.

In short, this is a US Urban Automotive Myth and if you ever get to look at a workshop manual or owner's manual for a British car I guarantee the word 'choke' will be used.

As for the shelf behind the rear seats, it's known as a 'parcel shelf' here in Australia.

Ray