The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Spring Rate for Rear Leaf Springs
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Steering and SuspensionMessage format

ThomasD500
Posted 2011-03-17 7:08 PM (#265014)
Subject: Spring Rate for Rear Leaf Springs

Extreme Veteran

I've decided that I will probably purchase new leaf springs for my 57 Dodge D500 2d ht, since I have a slight case of 'saggy rear' syndrome, and new springs are not as expensive as I thought ($250 plus/minus.)  In the larger scheme of things and all the money I'll be spending, I think it will be money well spent.

SO, does anybody have any suggestions for me in terms of what spring rate I should go for?  Or any other leaf spring data?

According to my research so far, Dodge Dart leaf springs are at least dimensionally correct, although there is no guarantee that they would give the optimal ride height (being designed for a lighter car.)  Also, I am guesstimating that the original spring rates for my car were probably about 100 lbs/inch and a design load of 900lbs.  I would like to go for something that would be the equivalent of the Plymouth Fury.  I am guessing that might be more like 130 lbs/inch.

Any data or recommendations would be much appreciated.

p.s. I also plan on upgrading to the 952/3 torsion bars up front.  They are currently 950/1.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
StillOutThere
Posted 2011-03-17 8:14 PM (#265034 - in reply to #265014)
Subject: Re: Spring Rate for Rear Leaf Springs

<p>I would recommend talking with Eaton Detroit Spring. They actually have the engineering blueprints for tens of thousands of leaf springs and can and will make suggestions for you to match your new HD torsion bars with an equivalent (or better) of the factory HD leaf spring. Actual rates I don't know but may have been listed in the AMA specs.</p><p> Oh, and I'd recommend getting the $80 installation kit of shackles and U-bolts from EDS when you place your order.  <br /></p>

Edited by StillOutThere 2011-03-17 8:16 PM
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2011-06-26 7:37 AM (#278001 - in reply to #265034)

StillOutThere - 2011-03-18 5:14 PM

I would recommend talking with Eaton Detroit Spring. They actually have the engineering blueprints for tens of thousands of leaf springs and can and will make suggestions for you to match your new HD torsion bars with an equivalent (or better) of the factory HD leaf spring. Actual rates I don't know but may have been listed in the AMA specs.

Oh, and I'd recommend getting the $80 installation kit of shackles and U-bolts from EDS when you place your order. 

Am I reading this right, ... you can buy "new HD torsion bars" ????

If so, please give details. I'd like a back up pair for my DeSoto.

I am with Neil, ... I have seen FEW success stories of new springs and plenty of bad press
about them being oversprung and too stiff, sticking the car's ass up in the air like a cat in heat.
As if these finned cars don't do this without extra lift ! Personally, I like the car level or slightly
down in the back, and build my own springs from wrecking yard sets to get a stiff ride but no
extra lift.
d500neil
Posted 2011-06-26 4:25 PM (#278061 - in reply to #278001)

Exner Expert 19,174 posts. Neil passed away 18 Sep 2015. You will be missed, Neil!

Well, new, as in NOS torsion bars.----I've had, still wrapped up, for several years, now, a pair of NOS 952/953 heavy duty torsion bars, that were standard on 57-58 Fury an on 57-58 Coronets/Royals, but optional on the Custom Royals, since the CR's came with sway bars, that those other models didn't have.

S.O.T. is referring to equivalent after-market leaf springs that theoretically will work with whatever T/bars (and shocks?) that you are running.

I'll wager that Eaton's leaf springs are not channel-sectioned like the OEM leaf springs are.

Edited by d500neil 2011-06-26 4:27 PM
ThomasD500
Posted 2011-06-26 6:37 PM (#278077 - in reply to #278061)

Extreme Veteran

d500neil - 2011-06-26 4:25 PM Well, new, as in NOS torsion bars.----I've had, still wrapped up, for several years, now, a pair of NOS 952/953 heavy duty torsion bars, that were standard on 57-58 Fury an on 57-58 Coronets/Royals, but optional on the Custom Royals, since the CR's came with sway bars, that those other models didn't have. 

Have you ever considered selling those, or are you saving them for a rainy day ?

d500neil
Posted 2011-06-26 11:21 PM (#278123 - in reply to #278077)

Exner Expert 19,174 posts. Neil passed away 18 Sep 2015. You will be missed, Neil!

Ya KNOW?

You're asking me when I'm feeling.....what? Vulnerable?

They're still wrapped up, never opened, and ready to ship; 26lbs, UPS ground.

Let's PM....

60 dart
Posted 2011-03-17 11:33 PM (#265053 - in reply to #265014)

Expert 5K+

i bought a set of the new dart springs although i haven't installed them yet and are 6 leaf and 2 inch lift . the leafs seem to be symmetrical with the oem's and as for the rate , the extra leaf ought to give me at least close to what i want . if not slight air in the shocks will . -----------------------------------------------------------------later
ThomasD500
Posted 2011-03-19 12:50 PM (#265192 - in reply to #265014)

Extreme Veteran

I went to the Eaton website and found a lot of great info on rates and loads. Here are the Dodge specs from the mid 60's

http://www.eatonsprings.com/64-67dodge.html

I think the rates from the polaras/manacos would be the most appropriate (they are 4000lb cars like ours) for our cars @ 85lbs/inch rate standard and 120 for the HD version. Design load is about 800-840. The Dart station wagon springs are pretty close @ 110 standard and 130 for the HD, with the design load being 800-850. The HD Dart Wagaon springs are 7 leaf!

The only issue I have with Eaton is that I found tons of complaints about them on the interwebs. I know that's how it goes on the net...more people post their complaints than their good experiences. but it seems the biggest problem with them is that once you buy their springs, if you have an issue, they basically tell you that you are SOL.
In a perfect world, I'd like to find a set of 'off the shelf' springs that work. But we all know that we don't live in a perfect world...
ThomasD500
Posted 2011-03-19 12:55 PM (#265193 - in reply to #265014)

Extreme Veteran

btw, there are a bunch of aftermarket, off-the-shelf Dart springs rated at 130 lbs/inch for very reasonable prices, but I have no idea what my ride height would be after installing them.
Hotchkis has some super fancy Dart springs that are light-weight 3 leaf (somewhere in-between a true mono-leaf and a traditional 5-7 leaf) spring rated @ 130lbs/inch. But they are designed to lower the Dart 1". I'm afraid they might lower my car too much, since I believe they are designed for light-weight drag or race cars.
ThomasD500
Posted 2011-03-21 8:05 PM (#265470 - in reply to #265014)

Extreme Veteran

I emailed hotchkis this weekend and they replied today.

Their reply:

"The free arch from the top leaf to the eye center line is 6.5”. Spring rate is 130 lbs/in."

So that tells me that if I put these under my car, I'd be at approximately zero arch. That's probably not what I want.
I have my rear axle and springs out of my car, so I can't measure my existing arch while loaded, but IIRC there was at least an inch or two, and that's with an already saggy bottom.
GregCon
Posted 2011-03-24 7:07 AM (#265728 - in reply to #265014)

Expert

I can't tell you what you want but most leaf springs, for cars, work best at zero arch.
Mopar1
Posted 2011-03-24 2:02 PM (#265764 - in reply to #265728)

Expert

In one of Tex Smith's books there was commentary about using the lightest rate springs & stiffest shocks, instead of the stiffest springs & shocks. Any thoughts on that angle?
ThomasD500
Posted 2011-03-24 7:15 PM (#265811 - in reply to #265764)

Extreme Veteran

Mopar1 - 2011-03-24 2:02 PM In one of Tex Smith's books there was commentary about using the lightest rate springs & stiffest shocks, instead of the stiffest springs & shocks. Any thoughts on that angle?

I think the answer is...it's all relative.  There is a such thing as too soft, and there is such a thing as too stiff.  Both are bad for handling.

What I've always understood is that it is better to be over-damped than under-damped.  Having a soft spring with a stiff shock would fall into the over-damped category, which is better than the opposite.

BUT the RIGHT stiffness spring with the RIGHT stiffness shock is the ideal.  Then it becomes a matter of what is 'right.', and that can be very subjective.

I personally think these cars are too soft to begin with.  But that is just an opinion.  SO I personally want to up the rates a notch, but I also don't want to go too far.  I'm not building a race car, afterall.

I had an Alfa Romeo once, and they were known to be a little 'soft' in the spring department.  I bought some 12-way adjustable Spax shocks for it, and set them to a rather stiff setting.  I was very happy with it.  I might even say it was one of the best handling cars I've ever owned, despite the fact that they were known for being a little 'soft.'  But that is relative.  Alfa 'soft' is no where near as soft as '50's American car' soft.

ThomasD500
Posted 2011-03-24 7:02 PM (#265808 - in reply to #265728)

Extreme Veteran

GregCon - 2011-03-24 7:07 AM I can't tell you what you want but most leaf springs, for cars, work best at zero arch.

I measured my current springs (which I suspect to be worn out) an they are currently about 7.5" arch.  So at 100lbs/inch, they would be at about zero arch, too.  But I don't know how much arch they've lost from new.

I've read that, unless the suspension geometry was specifically designed for it, a leaf spring going into negative arch can have negative implications.  It all depends on the shackle and whether it is moving TOWARDS a 90degree orientation from the frame mount as the spring compresses (good) or away (bad.) However, if that is what our cars are designed for, then that is another story.

It's hard to explain without drawing a picture.  Essentially, as the shackle moves towards vertical, it has a lifting effect on the frame and increase spring rate, which is what you want.  If the shackle is being pulled or pushed AWAY from vertical, this has the opposite effect.  SO if you have a spring that is the same length as the frame mounts, at zero arch the shackle would be vertical.  But as the car leans into a turn and the spring goes negative arch, the shackle will move AWAY from vertical (being pulled in by the compressing spring), thus shortening the distance between the spring frame mount and the spring and thus dropping the frame even farther causing even more lean in that direction.  Also the effective spring rate decreases, creating a sort of 'progressive rate spring'...only progressing to softer rather than stiffer the more the spring is compressed(bad.)  But if the spring is LONGER than the distance between the frame mounts, then the opposite effect will be had.

What you REALLY don't want is for the spring to have a slightly positive arch that then goes negative after being compressed to far, because then you have the chassis getting stiff as it progresses TOWARDS zero arch, and then suddenly going soft as it PASSES zero arch.  I guess this is the case where it is better to be at zero arch to begin with, because then you don't transition from positive to negative (which results in unstable characteristics)...you just go towards negative.  But the spring needs to be longer than the frame mounts at zero arch, so that it pulls the shackle towards vertical as it compresses (shortens.)

zrxkawboy
Posted 2011-03-24 10:22 PM (#265831 - in reply to #265014)

Veteran

I ordered springs for my '57 Plymouth from ESPO, and they work well. Give them a call and tell them your needs; I'm sure they can help.
d500neil
Posted 2011-03-27 9:39 PM (#266183 - in reply to #265831)

Tom, I bought a set of station wagon (5 1/2 leafs) from a salvage yard.

Turned out that they were off of a 62 Chrysler.

Didn't matter, because I used my Dodge's long main leaf, which, obviously, fit perfectly to the car, and then
stacked the wagon leafs onto that long leaf.

If I understand correctly, the aftermarket leaf springs are just flat pieces of spring steel which will not look OEM.

If you buy a set of wagon leafs, you will have the luxury of custom installing them onto your car to get the ride height
and ride quality that you want.

My car happens to sit a little high in the back, but that is fine, for me, in relation to the stiff 952/953 bars and the 2-way
gas shocks I've installed, and the back end doesn't squat down when people ride in the back seat of the car.

Wagon springs are abundant, not expensive--shop around, and a no-brainer to try out on your car.

Been there, done that and can recommend that protocol to anyone who wants to improve the rear end ride quality of
his ride.

ThomasD500
Posted 2011-06-16 9:29 PM (#276960 - in reply to #265014)

Extreme Veteran

I found a chart with all the arch depths and rates for our cars. For example:

Standard springs for the Plymouth Dodge = 95 lb/in w/ 8" arch
Heavy springs = 125 lb/in w/ 6 3/8" arch
Fury only springs = 125 lb/in w/ 5 1/8" arch (in other words, the heavy springs but with a 1.25" drop)

Anyway, the Hotchkis springs are 130lb/in w/ a 6 1/2" arch which is almost identical to the factory 'heavy' springs, so I bought those.
I got them today and they look very nice...very high quality. They are actually 3 and a 1/2 leafs, but the leafs are thicker. They weigh identical to my old springs, so there is no weight savings. But they have berlin eyes and come with new front bolts, u-bolts, and polyurethane shackle bushings. They also come with new front hangers for the A-body that are supposed to improve the geometry. I won't be using those since these are not going onto an A-body.
I have some photos and more info on my resto thread under 'Members Rides'

http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=33298&...
d500neil
Posted 2011-06-17 6:07 PM (#277076 - in reply to #276960)

At the risk of sounding like "Mad Money's" host, Jim Kramer, here; two magazines that every FWDLK'er should
own are the Hot Rod issues of 5/57 (wherein the 1957 standard models & Fury are tested and compared), and its
1/58 issue (wherein a 1958 Fury is driven across country).

Those issues are full of neat mechanical-item documentation, as well as seat-of-the-pants driving experiences.

Anyway, as far as rear leaf spring strengths are concerned, the Good Book of 5/57 confirms that the standard 57 PLY
"4-leaf" springs is 95 lbs/inch, and that the 57 Fury's "6-leaf [actually: 5 1/2 leafs-me...]" springs carry 125 lbs/inch :"or, 24%
stiffer"---which confirms Tom's weight recordings, above (both data probably coming from a factory literature-source; A.M.A. specifications?).

One thing that I am curious about is: was the standard PLY leaf spring REALLY 3 1/2 leafs , or, 4-full leafs 'thick' ???

The '58 issue confirms that the Fury's longest-leaf remained the same o.a. 55", as in 1957.

The flatter (55") 1957-1958 Fury leaf springs should have been shorter than the 55" standard PLY's "semi-elliptical" leaf
springs, unless the difference in the semi-elliptical-ness-length was compensated by the rear pendulum spring shackles.

If the standard PLY's have merely 3 1/2 leafs, then, the Fury's extra-two-and-flatter leaf springs provide that additional 24%
stiffness; I would have thought that MORE than just 24% extra stiffness would have been provided by those two Fury-leafs,
compared to the OEM 3 1/2 (?) leafs.

BTW, in 1958, Dodge's rear leafs' length was increased, from 55" to 58", for increased ride comfy-ness.

Edited by d500neil 2011-06-17 6:16 PM
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)