The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1955 New Yorker - Misc engine/trans final assembly ?'s
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> General Technical Discussion and TroubleshootingMessage format

Sig556
Posted 2023-05-22 7:41 PM (#629749)
Subject: 1955 New Yorker - Misc engine/trans final assembly ?'s

I'm hoping to get some guidance on the final "assembly" of the engine/trans; basically bolting everything back together. My last post was about possible value and I decided to spend some time trying to get everything bolted back on and the engine running. see here for status at that time: http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=77989&...

Now, after 3-4 days at 2-3 hours a day, I have a few things to tidy up, install the carb, radiator, wiring, do my final check and fluids, then start it. But to get there, I'm trying to figure out a few things that my pictures, manual, memory are failing.

1) There is a bracket on the transmission fill/dipstick tube that I'm not sure where it attaches. The tube has a compression fitting on the trans pan and the dipstick is accessible on the passenger side by the firewall between the head and the fender. The bracket "clamps" on the tube and attaches somewhere. I've moved it up and down the tube, but nothing seems to look right.

2) There is a breather tube that comes off the back of the valley cover and goes down the back of the engine on the passenger side. At the bottom of the tube, a "filter" for lack of a better term, is fitted to the end of the breather tube. The tube is maybe an inch in diameter and the metal filter slides into the flared bottom. This has a built in bracket that I'm not sure where it goes, either. Possible the trans tube bracket bolts on to this?

3) I have transmission oil cooler lines. Are these required or could I run the car without them; putting plugs in the appropriate inlet/outlets. Or should I rehab/replace the existing lines?

4) I believe I have most of the throttle/transmission linkage hooked up at the transmission. One concern, though, the rod that fits into what I believe is the the kick down lever does not appear to be secured in any fashion. No hole for a cotter pin, no indent for a clip in washer; it just sits in the hole. I can't believe this is accurate; there must be some way to secure the rod into the lever. the lever and linkage is tied into the accelerator, hence belief it is the kick down lever - its situated on the trans just above the gear selector.

5) I cant seem to find my intake manifold breather plug. Will anything with the correct threads work? I've also replace the power booster with a newer, bigger one when I swapped the singe reservoir master cylinder for a dual. I hope I can get enough vacuum.

6) I need a new power steering pump reservoir gasket. The gasket between the lid and the reservoir. Any ideas or find some rubber gasket material and make my own?

Once the above is done, then I believe it's carb, radiator, wiring, fluids, and go. Crossing my fingers.

Apologies for the long post and thank you in advance for the assistance.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Powerflite
Posted 2023-05-22 8:08 PM (#629753 - in reply to #629749)
Subject: Re: 1955 New Yorker - Misc engine/trans final assembly ?'s

Expert 5K+

1 & 2. Not sure, but I believe these bolt to the back of the engine at the bellhousing area.

3. Yes, they are required. I believe the torque converter is finned to get air cooling, but the oil cooler is required on the larger cars in '55. If they are in good shape, blow them out with compressed air and clean them up. Otherwise, you can bend new lines if you need to.

4. There should be a bolt & nut that goes into the side of it, that clamps the bracket to the rod.

5. You're plugging the vacuum port on the intake? If so, yes, any plug with the right pipe thread will work, but not sure why you would be doing this.

6. You could make your own if you wish. That should work. You could cut it from gasket material you get from an auto parts store too. It might be available from somewhere, but not sure where.
Shep
Posted 2023-05-22 8:55 PM (#629766 - in reply to #629753)

Expert

To add, that engine tuned right has plenty of vacuum for the newer booster, same brake set on my old car.
Sig556
Posted 2023-05-22 10:24 PM (#629768 - in reply to #629753)

Powerflite - 2023-05-22 5:08 PM

4. There should be a bolt & nut that goes into the side of it, that clamps the bracket to the rod.

5. You're plugging the vacuum port on the intake? If so, yes, any plug with the right pipe thread will work, but not sure why you would be doing this.

Thank you. To clarify my initial post,

The linkage that drops from the firewall to the transmission does have a hole and the rod at that point does have a nut/bolt set up. But from that point to the transmission, the end at the transmission is simply a 90 degree bend with about 1/2" - 3/4" section that fits into the hole on the kickdown mechanism. I suppose it is possible I have the wrong rod and just happens to fit together.

On the intake, I called it a plug because that's what came to mind. I know from my pictures, etc. that it screws into the manifold and a vacuum line runs from there to the power booster.

Appreciate the comments.

Edited by Sig556 2023-05-22 10:25 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)