The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Transmission Adaptor
Author: RoyalGate (Show all albums)

Here are a few pictures of the trans. adaptor from A&A Transmissions - To put a A518 Torqueflite Behind a Big Block. PICTURES WERE MEANT TO BE VIEWED BOTTOM TO TOP. CLICK ON "OLDEST FIRST" AND IT COMES OUT RIGHT. ( SORRY )
Show Newest Photos First | Show Oldest Photos First19 Photos - Page : [1] [2]

Here is just the spacer mounted on the crankshaft flange. It's not a press fit.

The teeth on the new flexplate align with the teeth on the old converter perfectly so if the starter goes thru the flexplate teeth any amount at all they will partially engage the converter teeth. I haven't tested that yet. I need to charge a battery and make some jumper cables to the starter.

Just the spacer.

Here is the new flexplate and the spacer they provide.

Another picture of the starter mounting.

You can see the spacer that is supplied to keep the converter in the transmission at the proper depth.

It's had to see behind the stud but you can see that the new flexplate is needed or the starter wouldn't engage anything.

Repositioned starter mounting. The block had to be clearanced slightly. Shown in another picture.

Everything lined up perfectly "SO FAR".

Transmission bolted up to the engine.

The Burr Tool I Used. Obviously, the sharper the better, but it really worked fast and VERY easy to controll. As far as I can tell, you would need the case disassembled and a drill press to use a 3" hole saw that A&A says to use. And then you have all of the metal shavings in the case to clean.

I used this die grinder and burr tool to cut out the aluminum. I installed the lower starter bolt and then swung the start into place to see where is hit. Then I'd grind a little and refit and mark and grind.. That way you ONLY take out what is needed. The whole grinding/fitting process took me about a half hour. Not counting the JB Weld hardening time.
Show Newest Photos First | Show Oldest Photos First19 Photos - Page : [1] [2]

Return to viewing all photo albums

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)