[GFS] Odds n ends

Golden Fin Society - http://clubs.hemmings.com/goldenfin/

Hello Jack,

Just so happen I was searching the my files for the spark plug
information.
2/11/98 John Teske advised me that Mitchell Motors had the original 4S-250
for
$4.95 each.  At that time he had 30 left.  He also has the Mopar
equivalent
P-35R for $2.00 each.  John states that he will be using Autolite 86 for
his
rebuilt engine for starters.

Marc at Atlas Obsolete never got around to having someone make the
thermostat
housing.  What I have found is that the housing on our 303s are the same
as the
354 HEMI.  Common only to 1956 vehicles.  I found mine at a shop that
rebuilds
HEMI engines. They place modern equipment (alternator, water pump, etc..)
on an
old engine.  We looked through about ten engines before I found one that
wasn't
chewed/eaten away up on the end.  You can use the later 1957 318 housing
but the
hose information that John gave earlier will not apply since the opening
on
these housings are only 1 1/2 inch instead of  1 3/4 inch.  You will be
forced
to find a hose that has these dimensions.  By clamping the hose further
down on
the neck of the housing, you run the risk of having the hose (with a
little back
pressure) pop off if it doesn't have that "ridge" around the top.

Transmission fluid, as far as I know, anything except type "F".  Most
likely
DEXRON.

Hints for dropping the engine in:  Once the engine is off of the engine
stand,
bolt the torque converter (8 nuts), and bell housing (about 10 bolts) to
the
engine.  Once the engine is in all you have left is the four bolts that
hold the
transmission to the bell housing.  This is a lot easier that trying to
tighten
and align 18 nuts and bolts while laying on your back under the car.   If
the
front clip is still off, go for the "gusto" and bolt the transmission to
the
bell housing and drop everything at once.

ED

---------------------- Forwarded by Ed Dea/LONG721/CompUSA on 02/24/2000
06:28

"William Lewis" <reatawhippets@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on 02/23/2000 04:59:38 PM