Re: [GFS] Odds n ends

Golden Fin Society - http://clubs.hemmings.com/goldenfin/

William Lewis wrote:

> Getting my PowerFlite ready - what kind of transmission fluid are you
using
> in these units today/probably applicable to the cast iron TorqueFlites
as
> well?

Car Collector had an article about trans fluid in May 99.  It seems
that Type A fluid is actually its own unique type, of which I have
never seen for sale anywhere, although I believe Paul Holmgren
found somewhere in Illinois at a small garage, and it is sold at
tractor service shops.

Type F fluid will give a Type A trans harsher shifts, as it adds more
friction (actually the F is for "friction" not "Ford"). Dexron/Mercon
will give a Type A trans softer shifts, as it reduces friction.  The
article claims that neither one will hurt a Type A trans.

So, if you want smoother shifts, use Dexron/Mercon.  If you want more
of a performance feel, use Type F.  Neither is "correct", but neither
will hurt the trans.

I checked with several rebuilders, including Aamco, and none
have seen Type A for sale in the last 25 years.  The general
consensus is that any Dexron/Mercon fluid, with a thingy of
anti-foaming agent (available at any GM parts counter), is the best
substitute for Type A.

-Dave