Re: IML: IML Year ID question - 90s

Hi

1990s the 5th symbol designates the Imperials and Fifth Avenues as 'Y' with the 6th symbol designated as 6 = Special and 5 = Premium
Imperial = Y6
Fifth Avenue = Y5

Paul
'65 Crown Coupe -- Mauve/Black Plum/Persian White

Christopher Hoffman <imperial67@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Take Dick's word for it... he's owned all three model years, and he knows
his stuff!

1981 was the first year for the industry-standardized 17-digit VIN, in which
the 1st number indicates country of origin (1=USA, 2=Canada, 3=Mexico...
guess who came up with the system!), and the 2nd the manufacturer or make.
On all three years, Imperial used an A, separate from the Chrysler-badged
lines.

It was not until the 1990 4-door model that the VIN began with 1C, because
those were, for the first time since 1954, models within the Chrysler
Division... and they were (unlike the Windsor, Ontario-built 2-doors) once
again built stateside, in Belvidere, IL (now home of the Neon).

One cause of this confusion, besides the fact that everyone seems to call
1955-83 Imperials "Chrysler Imperials," was that most dealerships had
removed their "Chrysler/Plymouth/Imperial" signage after the fullsize
Imperial was dropped in 1975. By the time the Imperial resurfaced for 1980,
you just bought one from your Chrysler-Plymouth dealer.