RE: IML: 1967 Thermostat

Does the car actually overheat or does coolant just come out the overflow? If you fill the old radiators right to the top, they will blow a little coolant out of the overflow when they reach operating temperature. They need a little room to expand (maybe a quarter inch?) Sometimes us youngsters who don't remember pre-recovery tank days will fill them right up and end up with coolant on the garage floor. I think the correct cap is 16 lbs, but I think it's only worth about 2 degrees per lb, so I doubt that's your problem if you are overheating.

Rob

From: "Eric Nelson" <ericnelson424@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: IML: 1967 Thermostat
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 10:16:50 -0500

Hi,

I just bought a 1967 Imperial Crown. After the car has run for a while it overheats and leaks after it is parked the coolant flows out of the overflow tube. I flushed the system and changed the thermodstat but it happened again. Then I realized that the radiator had a 7lb cap in it. My 65 New Yorker 413 has a 14 lb cap on it and that never overheated.

What is the proper radiator cap pressure for the 1967 440 motor?

Thanks