Re: IML: Wheel bearing noise

>From: RandalPark@xxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: IML: Wheel Bearing noise
>
>The noise that I have heard from worn or damaged
>wheel bearings has been growling or moaning sound
>from the fronts, and a whooping sound from the backs.
>In both cases, there was not yet damage to the races.

   Wierd. I've only ever heard growling from bad bearings in small cars,
though I think I've heard the whooping in big ones. It might be that I'm
just too deaf to hear it in the (much quieter) large vehicles. If I'd been
thinking, it might have occurred to me that someone with bad hearing is not
neccessarily the best person to answer a 'sounds like' question...

>There were one or more damaged rollers. I have
>never heard a loud squeeking or screeching. Maybe
>I haven't let them become bad enough to make that
>sound.

   Likely true. It's been a long time since I've heard it, and the bearings
were visibly bad.  This has never happened on an Imperial, I tend to get the
wheel bearings replaced (or at least cleaned and re-packed) whenever the
hubs are apart. Since my Imperials have always been daily drivers, this has
never been less than yearly.

         -Kle.
         '69 Crown 4DHT