Re: IML: Dirty Oil in my 440

If you only burble around town, you have sludge buildup in your block that
no additive will remove.  Open it up and clean it out.

If your car has seen a fair amount of high-rev freeway driving since the
last rebuild, that's probably not your problem.  Oil gets dirty.  It's the
nature of oil.  If you are following Chrysler's maintenance guidelines, you
are probably only changing your filter every other oil change.  As soon as
that fresh oil hits the dirty filter, guess what?  It's dirty.

I have had great success with two products that will take care of minor (I
say again, minor) problems in your oil system.  One is Seafoam.  Pour it
into the crankcase, following the manufacturer's directions.  The other is
Marvel Mystery Oil.  Next oil change, drain the oil pan as usual, then add
two quarts fresh oil and one bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil.  Do not change
the filter.  Let it run at high idle (~1800RPM) for a few minutes.  Then
drain, change filter and add fresh oil.

Just an aside, for those who don't know -- when you change the filter, fill
it with oil before you screw it in.  It will hold almost a quart by itself.
Fill, allow to soak in, fill, allow to soak in, etc.  And lube the oil
filter gasket with a drop of oil on your fingertip, if it's not already
oily from doing the fill thing.  Your top end will thank you a lot for not
allowing it to run dry while the pressure builds up enough to force oil
through the fresh filter.  That's the horrible clacking sound you hear for
the first white-knuckle seconds after an oil change.

-- David

                      DONALDDICKINSOND@xxxxxx
                      ialclub.com                     Subject:  IML: Dirty Oil in my 440

                      05/09/2005 01:50 PM
                      Please respond to
                      mailing-list

Is there a reliable and safe way I can clean out my 440?  I have been
changing my oil every 1000 (or less) miles but I still have dirty oil on my
dip stick.  Is this normal, or is there a solution out there?

Don Dickinson
Prospect, KY

1955 Imperial Newport, Canyon Tan and Desert Sand
1967 Imperial Custom Convertible, Ivory and Burgundy