Re: IML: Dirty Oil in my 440

In a message dated 5/10/2005 2:06:01 AM Eastern Standard Time, RandalPark@xxxxxxx writes:
This is absolutely true, but if it turns black suddenly, right after it is changed, it usually is a sign of another problem. The stuff in the bottom of the pan doesn't travel around that fast, although it will over time.

Instant black oil is caused by crank case fumes(blow by). Two critical things to check for is excessively rich fuel mixture, and a dirty or malfunctioning crank case ventilation system. In free breathing engines, which a '67 Imperial is not, the filler cap breather and draft tube need to be checked or cleaned. In positive crankcase ventilated cars ('67 Imperial is this) the system needs to be checked.

If these things check out okay, and the change from clean to black is somewhat gradual, then there is not much to worry about.

Paul W.

Thanks for a lot of good input from the list but I think Paul "hit the nail on the head."  I am running very rich as I need a carburetor rebuild that I have been procrastinating on.  This is additional incentive to get my carburator rebuilt soon!

Don Dickinson
Prospect, KY

1955 Imperial Newport, Canyon Tan and Desert Sand
1967 Imperial Custom Convertible, Ivory and Burgundy