Re: IML: Tire expiration

>From: Ken Miller <kdmiller44@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: IML: Tire Expiration Dates
>
>There is an article in the Wall Street Journal today stating that Ford
>Motor Company is saying that tires have a life expectancy of 6 years and
>should be replaced after that time interval.
>
>Those of us with Imperials that don't get driven very often may need to
>at least consider this point of view.  The tires on my 67 Convertible
>look practically new and probably have less than 5,000 miles on them,
>but when I checked the sales slip I realized that I bought them in
>1988!  That means that these guys are about 17 years old.  Other old car
>collectors tell me they are changing their tires every ten years or so,
>worn out or not.  I'm beginning to think that there is something to this.
>
>Any thoughts?

   Replacing tires due to age instead of wear is probably an excellent idea.

   However, if  you only drive the car 250 miles a year, do you really
hammer it over those 250 miles? It's hard for me to imagine someone keeping
a car pristinely safe in a garage 99.9% of the time, and for the other .1%
punching it through S-curves at 90mph...

   Under most driving conditions, if you get a flat, it's merely annoying.
Last time I had a highway blowout in an Imperial, my '62 lost a front tire
and deviated so little from it's course that I initially didn't know what
was making the noise - I immediately put it in neutral, and slowed it with
the drive-shaft brake.

   If when you drive you car, it's short trips at moderate speeds on good
roads, then I wouldn't much worry until the sidewalls start cracking.
   If you drive it long distances, or in other more aggressive ways, then
you might want to change them more often.

     -Kle.
     '69 Crown 4DHT