Re: IML: Tire Expiration Dates

In a message dated 5/31/2005 4:27:22 PM Eastern Standard Time, kdmiller44@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
There is an article in the Wall Street Journal today stating that Ford
Motor Company is saying that tires have a life expectancy of 6 years and
should be replaced after that time interval.  DaimlerChrysler AG
apparently has been saying this with their Mercedes models for some time
and just started recommending it with their 2005 Chrysler models.  Other
manufacturers aren't as sure and as always, there are two sides to the
issue.

The two sides per the Wall Street Journal article:

Side One:  Ford, Daimler Chrysler, Toyota and others have adopted the six year rule on tire aging.

Side Two:  Rubber Manufacturers Association says "tires are safe as long as tread depth is a minimum of 1/16 no matter what the age providing there is no visible cuts, signs of uneven wear, bulges or excessive cracking."

Due to law suites the auto manufacturers are, no doubt, being conservative in their life expectancy estimates.  But at least we are getting some guidance in this murky world of tire aging.  My takeout for us that use our cars maybe 1000 - 2000 miles per year and keep them garaged, out of the elements, the rest of the year a rule of thumb might be a life of 50% greater or 9 years (unless we see wear/defects per RMA above).

Don Dickinson
Prospect, KY

1955 Imperial Newport, Canyon Tan and Desert Sand
1967 Imperial Custom Convertible, Ivory and Burgundy