From: "Dick Benjamin" <dickb@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: IML: 56 Ballist Resistor
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 20:47:42 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0012_01C566EB.293AE340

You understand the circuit exactly correctly.? The higher resistance will
cause the coil to operate below the design primary voltage; however it is
probably not going to show up in the car's performance except under unusual
circumstances.

The ballast resistor is out of the circuit during start-up, so it won't
affect the engine starting.??

The symptom of a bad (open circuit) ballast resistor is that the engine will
start normally, but stall as soon as you go back to the "run" position on
the starter switch.? If this is what is happening, you might have a bad
ballast resistor, but a more likely explanation is in the wiring or the
switch itself, or possibly even the starter solenoid.??

A ballast resistor is the simplest of electrical parts - if you have a VOM,
just measure the resistance.? If it reads very low (under an OHM), it is OK,
look elsewhere for your problem.? If you don't have a VOM, use? your test
light to see if the bulb lights when you touch the coil end of the ballast
resistor with the key in the run position.? If it lights, even dimly, the
resistor is probably OK.

Dick Benjamin (retired (since 1979!) Electrical Engineer, still with a few
remaining functioning brain cells)