Re: IML: In defense of "customs"

For an Imperial, the basic, no-option, Custom was a stripper model.  Yes,
you could load it up with all the options available on a LeBaron, but the
base Custom car, with no options, had less equipment than either a Crown or
a LeBaron.  On the other end of the spectrum, take the 1957 Plymouth Plaza.
It came with virually no exerior side trim, plain inside door panels, simple
cloth and vinyl seats, rubber floor mats and a gold-toned horn plate (no
horn ring).  But you could still get it with a V8, power seats, power
windows, radio, heater, white sidewall tires, and air conditioning - the
same equipment offerd on a LeBaron

As for optional equipment, or lack thereof, installed on 1957-59 Imperials
based on total model year production  :

No power seats :
1957 - 9.5%
1958 - 6.9%
1959 - 7.0%

No power windows :
1957 - 8.7%
1958 - 7.5%
1959 - 8.5%

No radio :
1957 - 4.1%
1958 - 3.3%
1959 - 2.9%

No heater :
1957 - 1.2%
1958 -  0.0% *
1959 - 0.5%
* This does not mean no Imperials were ordered without a heater, just that
the number of cars totalled less than  0.1% of production.

No white sidewall tires :
1957 - 8.7%
1958 - 3.2%
1959 - 2.9%

No tinted windshield :
1957 - 4.4%
1958 - 5.8%
1959 - 8.9%

No air conditioning :
1957 - 70.2%
1958 - 66.4%
1959 - 62.5%

By the way, 8.9% of all 1957 Imperials came with single headlamps and 4.3%
of 1959 Imperials had air suspension.

One cannot make any kind of guess as to what equipment was or was not
ordered on a car by what is seen forty years later.  Such observations are
warped by such factors of locale, for one.  After all, you are far more
likely to see Imperials ordered without the optional heater in Jacksonville,
Florida as opposed to Fargo, North Dakota.  And buyers in Winnipeg, Manitoba
were far less likely to purchase a 1957 Imperial with air conditioning than
someone living in Galveston, Texas.

Bill
Vancouver, BC