Re: IML: Torqueflite rebuild price

My 1973 was $1500 with remove/reinstall and 400 mile
checkup.  I thought it was a tad high, but wanted the
convenience of not having to deal with it at the time
and I liked the guy and all.

That $3000 is a CYA price.

I have a 1960 Cast Iron TF trans in my 1960 that will
need doing.  It's the parts that frighten the trans
guys, as they're uncertain where to get them or what
they'll cost, most likely.

My suggestion:

Get all the parts lined up and preferrably in your
posession.  Get the 1960 manual if you don't have it,
and supply that along with the trans when you go in
for your next quoteint out the trans section off of
the online version.

Call around for someone that knows the "old Chrysler
Torqueflights".  Likely there is one or two out of the
30-40 shops in your area that will give you a warm
reception, and you want to keep calling till you find
them.

Don't ask a price - just ask if they can do the job.
Walk in with the trans in the trunk of your daily
driver and all the new replacement parts/seals in a
box and ask in person where they can see that you have
everything.  Have a receipt with the parts supplier's
phone number casually visible along with the manual.
You'll likely not be blown off if they can see that
you have everything and the instructions.

http://c-i-f.ifrance.com/tqf-sw.htm
http://imperialclub.com/Repair/Lit/Master/140/index.htm
http://imperialclub.com/Repair/Transmission/torqueflite/page.php?page=1
http://imperialclub.com/Repair/Lit/Master/129/index.htm

I had a shop do mine out of the car 10 years ago
(1960) for under $800 and it worked out well.  Above's
the path that I took.

Bernbaums "might" be the source for the parts?  Don't
recall, but the club website will list vendors of
such.

http://imperialclub.com/Part/Transmission/Resources.htm

ALSO: Buy your own parts and you get to skip the shop
marking them up on you too, speaking as one cheapskate
to another.

Kenyon Wills