Re: IML: 1973 Exhaust Manifold Leak

I re-installed my '73 manifolds awhile back after
removing them.  They leaked furiously.

After a long hunt for the culprit, I found that there
was residual gasket material on the head that
disallowed a flat, flush fit.

Your manifold is likely to be coming off anyway, so I
suggest running a wire wheel over both mating surfaces
aggressively.  The exhaust gaskets with the metal foil
layer are also desireable items as they will help
insulate the valve cover gaskets from heat, which have
a tendency to bake in the course of use on 440's.  I
replaced both valve cover and exhaust gaskets and the
thing STILL leaks oil onto the manifold when the car
sits.  Smells great the first 20 minutes of operation!

Secondly:  I have seen 3 exhaust manifolds crack and
they all did so at the "dump" where the 4 lines make a
90 degree turn and get dumped together down into the
Manifold/pipe connection.  This is normally on the
exterior side, and you can run the car and pass your
hand over the area (Carefully) when the engine is dead
cold without touching the manifold and detect the hot
air escaping.

You can get a stehescope-like tool at the parts store
for "not much" and pass the end over/around the
exhaust manifold while the car runs to detect the
leak.

If you go to the trouble of finding a replacement
manifold and get the same symptoms, you'll wish that
you'd deciphered where the leak was first.  It could
be something simple, in other words.  Verify before
spending money!

-Kenyon

--- "Hall, David" <Dave.Hall@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've determined, with the help of this mailing list,
> that the 73 440's
> for our Imperial Lebaron's do not have a exhaust
> manifold gasket.  Sine
> I have an obvious leak in my exhaust manifold [on
> the driver's side, of
> course, with steering column conveniently in the
> way] how do I find out
> if the head is warped without removing from the
> block?  Is there such a
> way?  Could it be the exhaust manifold that is
> somehow impaired?
>

> Thanks for your feedback.  This us job #2 for this
> car.  Job #1 is a new
> carb which has been already discussed.
>

> Dave Hall
>
> 1973 Imperial LeBaron with Vinyl top