Sent: Saturday, October 01, 2005 10:17 AM
Subject: Re: IML: 60 accesories/Headlight Dimmer Tool

I have the same tool with the same tag. It is used to adjust the "eye", not only after installation, but whenever something was changed in the car. This could be the addition of a trailer hitch, or some other modification that changed the position of the headlight dimmer in relation to the road. It was part of the regular maintenance of the vehicle to check the adjustment of this accessory, hence the need for this tool was widespread among the dealerships. I don't think very many of them ever really got used.

In 1960 the headlight dimmer was installed at the factory. There were plenty of aftermarket units available. My '55 has an Autronic Eye mounted on the dash. It is much larger than the units introduced in the early '60s. It appears as though it may have been installed at the factory, but I believe it was done at the dealer. It is painted the EXACTLY match the dash, so it was very expertly installed.

Frankly, I have several cars with this feature. It is more of a curiosity than anything else. Several of them still work, but inconveniently dim or brighten at inopportune times. Later ones are infinitely adjustable, but still can present a problem for other drivers.

Paul W.