RE: IML: 1981 Imperial & Crate Engines???

RE: IML: 1981 Imperial & Crate Engines???

Hey Abe,

You're in Long Island? I'm in Brooklyn and I have a place out in Suffolk. I have a 300 hp crate in my '83. Runs fine, but I really need to open up the exhaust. All the tips you got are great. You need a passenger motor mount, and you need to deal with the balance on the converter. I went with a weighted flexplate so that I could use a neutral balance flywheel. If you're getting a crate engine don't worry about swapping manifolds the M1 is pretty good piece, but you may have an issue with the single plane on the 380 crate fitting under the hood. Mine fits fine, but it's the dual plane 300 hp.

A decent 904 will work and the 8 1/4 is fine, but you should be dumping those 2.24 gears. My car already had a 360 with 4bbl, 727 and 2.94 sure grip. Tell the truth I wish I had the low gearset of the 904 and I'm contemplating a 500 overdrive.

My biggest problem was the accessory drives. I had to dump the a/c because the offset on the manifold is different and won't clear the compressor. I may eventually go with a serpentine system off a magnum truck. Without the a/c you'll need an idler pulley-hard to find, or you'll have to swap to the old style lower output alternator like me.

Good luck, feel free to e-mail me offlist if you need any more info. I researched this swap pretty extensively.

Rob
Two Imperials
1982 stock efi
1983 not stock