Re: IML: Having to Get Rid of an Imperial

Re: IML: Having to Get Rid of an Imperial

I have multiple cars.

Two are 1960's.  One was a stripped shell and one was
registered.  the registered one is about the worst
looking car on the planet, and it was registered
mainly to allow title transfer and so forth.

A neighbor complained about the shell car that was on
my driveway - obviously being worked on and prepped
for painting.  I got a letter from the homeowners
association about it.

This was the same character that had written in about
other people instead of working things out with them.

I pulled my registered car out and parked it in front
of his house for 71 hours at a time for a week.  At
the end of that time, I knocked on his door and
introduced myself.  We had a discussion about what the
law will and won't allow.  I asked him if he's be
interested in me going out of my way to move my car
back into the side yard and if maybe he could cut me
some slack once I'd laid out the fact that I only had
3-6 more weeks of outside work to do.

He decided that maybe me having my car on my own
property wasn't as bad as me having my other car in
front of his property.

Find out what the ordinances are in your community.
They are generally not so precise that they require
only a $4000 solution, so start looking for a
workaround if you still have the energy.

Nothing is more satsifying than winning one like this.
 Take your time to understand what you're up against.
The city should make all ordinances viewable.  Also
find out how they plan to enforce this.

Good luck if you decide to work through this.....

-Kenyon

>        Thanks to a neighbor, I am forced to get rid
> of my 1957 Southampton. He complained about my car
> to the city, its in my carport under a tarp. I was
> told yesterday by a city representative, He has a
> right not to have to look at my car, so I was told
> by the city I had to put up an ornamental metal
> gate, that can't be open to the street, (has to be
> closed in, so he can't see my car). The gate they
> want costs over $4000 to build and install, and I
> don't have that kind of money for something that
> will stay up only a year. Right now I don't have the
> money for an attorney, and don't trust them anyway.
> The real bitch is, if I had the engine in it, there
> would be no problem, on how it looks.
>        It doesn't matter that he doesn't have grass
> in his yard, the dirt is fine with the city. Even
> though everybody else in the block has grass,
> ....sorry I'm very mad right now!!
>        I have a 1957 Chrysler Imperial Southampton,
> no drivetrain in it, the body is from Las Vegas and
> has very little surface rust. Most of the chrome is
> in good condition and the paint could be polished
> up. It needs the interior redone. All the parts are
> there and I do have extra parts for items, that need
> repair or replacement. I need to get rid of this car
> within 2 weeks so, I'm having to give it away.  I'm
> really mad at the city about that. If someone is
> really interested let me know, otherwise, I'll have
> to scrap it. It's a nice car but I can't keep it at
> my house any more, thanks to my neighbor.
>   Thanks for any help,
>   Charles in Calif.

Kenyon Wills