Inspired by your story, I can report a return from a successful 1,275 mile road trip on the South Island of New Zealand, but not in an Imperial, rather a Frazer Nash. However, I did some "Imperial visiting". Near Christchurch, I saw Geoff Simpson's '65 convert - a project in progress, but coming along nicely. In Oamaru - home of the blue penguin colony - we visited with Brian and Sera Ledgerwood. His '38 Chrysler Royal was being finished up in a shop, but his '71 (?) Valiant VIP RHD really is very nice.

I missed Geoff Simpson and his '57 Imperial in Dunedin, as he was away the weekend we passed through, but we'll be returning and I'm sure to see him eventually. The people, food, beer, wine and empty, curvy roads with spectacular scenery were even better on this visit!

Bob & Shannon

At 01:22 AM 12/5/2005, you wrote:
From: staffel@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: IML: Mid-Atlantic Imperial Adventure
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 09:03:56 +0000
Last week the weather forecast was suppose to be good for Wed Nov 23rd, Light snow Thanksging Day, then clear and in the 50's for the rest of the weekend. Thought this might be my last opportunity this year to take the Imperial down to Virginia Beach (via Culpepper/Rappahonneck County for Thanksgiving) to take my 91 year old-'Old Car Enthusiast' Aunt for a ride. Aunt Pearl is originally a 'NYC gal'. She and my uncle (passed 4 years ago) had traveled to 68 countries, and last year she even took a New England cruise herself. She thought we were coming down again with the ('96) Jaguar superchared 6 cyl XJR, which she loves as it has the comfy bucket style rear heated seats. She likes 4 dr cars, and being VERY INDEPENDENT, likes 'her own door'.