RE: IML: 73 in the dark

Robin Giesbrecht <robings@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Sounds like your accessory feed is dead and this is coming through the ignition switch. The battery feed for this is through a disconnect, a fusible link and then pin 13 on the bulkhead disconnect. Then it goes to the ignition switch through a rectangular white plastic connector under the steering column.
Robin's message jogged my memory . . .

If your '73 has the tilt & telescopic steering column, the problem is probably the ignition switch located about halfway down the column.

This same thing happened on my '71 Imperial -- the lights started behaving oddly (headlights but no taillights or turn signals, sometimes other weirdness), and the problem was the ignition switch.  The wiring is connected to the switch with a big plastic plug, and after 30 years, I bet you'll find that plug has some melted spots where the connections have overheated.

The GOOD thing is that the switch is available new, it's relatively cheap, and it's easy to install (two bolts).

Drop the panel with the Vent levers in it (directly under the steering column) and examine the ignition switch.

Good luck!

Elijah

Imperial Power Window Switch Repair

Books About Imperials -- History & Repair

My Collection of Imperials
1965 Imperial LeBaron
1967 Chrysler Newport Custom Sedan
1970 Imperial LeBaron