Re: IML: Battery for a '56

I tend to go for 800-850 CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) for
my 1960-73 Imperials, but they have the same engine
for the most part.  Yours may be different, but I
doubt it.

Take a look at your yellow pages.
There are places that do batteries only.

They will be the ones that will tell you both the
correct capacity and the correct post placement (+/-)

The one that I use supplies the SF Airport with
batteries for their fleets, and the one that's correct
for 60's imperials is the one that the trucks use.  If
some cat leaves headlights on or some such, Peninsula
Battery Co. just replaces it.  They sell the used ones
for $22 each, and I've had 10 or so and only one was
problematic.  They took it back without a receipt and
threw another one at me.  That's one way to make a
problem go away.

If the place is clean, well run, and the folks seem
reputable (bettery places aren't always so), a used
one might be a nice way to scrimp on some $$.

Kenyon Wills