IML: AC on 82 Imperial

OK, on to my next issue with the new Imperial.

As expected, the AC is non functioning.  I know very little about AC
systems in cars other than they rarely seem to work when I get a hold of
them. I have never been motivated to try and fix one of these until now,
out of wanting to restore this Imperial to as near factory condition as
possible. Maybe folks here can help diagnose.

When AC mode is activated via the switch on the climate control unit,
nothing happens. The clutch does not engage at all.  I also hear no clicks
from any relays or switches anywhere.  All fuses have been verified to be
in good working order.

Is there some kind of relay I should investigate first or is it likely the
clutch/compressor assembly is shot and needs replacing?

Also, how much does it cost to get one of these things recharged? If the AC
has been non operational for a long time, I don't hold much hope it still
has any coolant left, either.

Thanks.

Nat Hall
1982 Imperial Coupe