Re: IML: 1982 Imperial Horn

>You should be able to find a used one a lot cheaper then that. I'm betting
>the same ones were used on the Cordoba's of that generation & probably other
>models.
>John

Hey Burt,

Are you sure it's the horn that's bad and not the relay? Or even the
wiring/switch in the steering wheel? The horn on my '82 didn't work when I
got the car, either. Turns out that inside the horn relay that's located on
the fuse block, the spot that is supposed to make contact when the steering
wheel button(s) are pressed had developed a thick corrosive crust. The
relay was still working mechanically just not passing the juice when it was
supposed to. It's relatively easy to take the relay apart-- it's plastic
and the cover is just held on by two tabs. A quick sanding of the corroded
area and I was back in business. Though this is my only experience, I would
place a bet that this is a common trouble spot on Imperials from this era.

With your past Chrysler experience, however, I wouldn't be surprised if
you've already ruled this out but I thought I'd throw it out there
nonetheless. :)

If it is actually your horn that is the culprit, I can probably score you a
new (used) one. My local wrecking yard has a 1980 New Yorker that has been
there for a while and hasn't been picked over too much, probably since the
R-body New Yorkers were somewhat rare and nobody has one anymore. However,
I'm finding out it is a virtual goldmine in my Imperial restoration
efforts.  It's probably already known on the list, but apparently these
R-body New Yorkers share a LOT of parts with the 80's Imperials. Not sheet
metal, but electronics, relays, switches, motors, levers, etc.  Even a lot
of the dash mouldings and plastic assemblies are the same-- interesting
since the two cars have completely different instrument clusters. The horn
was still on it when I was there on Friday to grab a new headlight door
relay for the Imperial since they use the same one. I noticed the horn
because at the time I was trying to determine if they also use the same
headlight door motor (I think they do). Mail me off-list if you're
interested.

Nat Hall
1982 Imperial Coupe