Re: IML: Condensor and vacuum membrame???

Re: IML: Condensor and vacuum membrame???

I have actually added condensors/capacitors to my cars that don't have them. They are connected to the 12-volt lead to the clock. The purpose of the device is to reduce sparking of the contacts in the winding mechanism of the clock. Without the capacitor, a spark is created every time the mechanism winds the spring (about every two minutes). This will tend to pit the points and require you to service the clock mechanism more frequently.

Also, I have added a simple in-line fuse to the power lead to the clock. For some reason, these feeds are not fused and if the clock mechanism sticks (aggravated by pitted points), the coil on the clock solenoid will burn. I use about a 2-amp fuse.

Ken Miller
Portland, Oregon
67 and 61 Imperial Convertibles (with working clocks)

Jan Lundström wrote:

Hi!!!
I own a 1963 convertible and i need some advice...
I removed the speedometer today to get access to the powerpack which is fried...
Behind one of the nuts that keep the clock in place, there was a small condensator with a black cable, the condensator was not connected to anything....
Does anyone know what this is for???
I cant find any place to connect it to, my guess is that its for the radio but im not sure...
I also wonder how to remove the vacuum membran that is connected to the parking brake release???
It looks like its welded in place, do i need to remove the whole parking brake unit or is it possible to just remove the vacuum unit???
Thanks
Jannelu
Sweden