Re: IML: '73 Coupe Opera Lights Question

Re: IML: '73 Coupe Opera Lights Question

Darrell Smith <dssmithdc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I would like to know if there is a procedure to check out the wiring for the opera lights in my '73 coupe. I have checked both bulbs, and they are fine. When I switch on the light switch on the dash, or open either door, all the interior lights work, except for the opera lights. Is there a single point of failure in the wiring that I need to be aware of?
Yes -- check the "Dome" switches (that's what they're labelled) that live next to the switches for the rear windows on the rear armrest area (outboard, not the pull down armrest in the center of the seat).  There's just one screw that holds this panel in place, so it's VERY easy to remove.  I bet that you'll find the wiring has come loose at the Dome switch.  And check the wiring to the cigar lighters while you're in there as well.
Also, just as a point of interest, I think it's nice that this model year of Imp's didn't have dome lights. Is that true for all years of the fuselage era? Are there other model years that weren't outfitted with them as well? Makes for a much less harsh lighting environment, and adds to the sophistication of the car, IMO.
It is a nice touch, especially in combination with the backlight floodlighting of the instrument panel.  :o)

All fuselage Imperials *EXCEPT* the '69 Imperial Crown Sedan models came without an overhead light.  The '69 sedans had an overhead dome light.

Enjoy!

Elijah

Imperial Power Window Switch Repair

Find Repair & Shop Manuals, Parts Books, History & More at The Imperial Bookshelf!

  My Collection of Imperials

1965 Imperial LeBaron
  1967 Chrysler Newport Custom Sedan
  1970 Imperial LeBaron