From: swampyankee@xxxxxxx
Sent: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 3:01 AM
Subject: Re: IML: '80s & '90s Imperials

> From: "anthony romano" <mamrom@msn.com
> Subject: IML: CHRYSLER IMPERIAL 81-83 & 90- 93-=WHY??

> Hello! Help me to understand why the "Comeback" of the 80's and the 90's
> Imperials never took off as a sort after car? In my opinion, the cars
> had the edge in style and engineering. Both cars were ahead of its time
> with amentias. So with all this, was it a marketing blunder or was it
> only intended to make a "Cameo" appearance for those years.

  I'm not sure why the '80s cars performed poorly in the market. Perhaps people were still looking for _big_ luxury cars? Personal-luxury vehicles have always had a rocky sales history, look at the new T-Bird, or the Caddy Allante, or Buick Reatta
  In the early '90s, Chrysler had a terrible reputation, and the platform was heavily derivative. I expect a lot of people just never tried them, and thus never learned about the features our '90s club members admire so much.

> It makes
> you think that the new Imperial concept car might have the same fate,
> unless Chrysler really intends to resurrected permanently as to compete
> with the ever growing Luxury market. Let's face it, back in the day
> Imperial had only two rivals to compete with, unlike today fierce
> competition.

> Your Thoughts Appreciated!

  It could happen, though Chrysler hasn't had many sales failures lately - they seem to have their fingers firmly on the 'market pulse' these days.
  -Kle
  '69 Crown 4DHT