Re: IML: '80s & '90s Imperials

From: "anthony romano" <mamrom@xxxxxxx>
Subject: IML: CHRYSLER IMPERIAL 81-83 & 90- 93-=WHY??

Hello! Help me to understand why the "Comeback" of the 80's and the 90's
Imperials never took off as a sort after car? In my opinion, the cars
had the edge in style and engineering. Both cars were ahead of its time
with amentias. So with all this, was it a marketing blunder or was it
only intended to make a "Cameo"  appearance for those years.

I'm not sure why the '80s cars performed poorly in the market. Perhaps people were still looking for _big_ luxury cars? Personal-luxury vehicles have always had a rocky sales history, look at the new T-Bird, or the Caddy Allante, or Buick Reatta. In the early '90s, Chrysler had a terrible reputation, and the platform was heavily derivative. I expect a lot of people just never tried them, and thus never learned about the features our '90s club members admire so much.

 It makes
you think that the new Imperial concept car might have the same fate,
unless Chrysler really intends to resurrected permanently as to compete
with the ever growing Luxury market. Let's face it, back in the day
Imperial had only two rivals to compete with, unlike today fierce
competition.

          Your Thoughts Appreciated!

It could happen, though Chrysler hasn't had many sales failures lately - they seem to have their fingers firmly on the 'market pulse' these days.
     -Kle.
'69 Crown 4DHT