Re: IML: voltage limiter question

Hello all, I am also having gauge problems on my 73. I
have read all the information on the website, studied
the FSM and have concluded I also have a faulty
voltage limiter. My problem started when the fuel
gauge moved past full and the fuse protecting the
gauge circuit blew. Upon replacing the fuse, it blew
again in a matter of seconds followed by a small puff
of smoke out of the top of the dash. I have pulled the
instrument panel completely out of the car and I am
awaiting the delivery of the part.

My question: The blue wire that was attached to the
back of the fuel gauge according to the FSM wiring
diagram goes back to the fuel tank sending unit which
is grounded. Why does my test light come on and the
light pulsate on this wire when I turn on the ignition
switch? In reading the wiring diagram, current should
flow from the limiter, through the gauge to this blue
wire, to the sending unit and then to ground. If I am
reading this right why am I getting voltage on this
wire if the dash is completely out of the car? Could I
have a short somewhere else? Incidentally, the fuse
now holds with instrument panel out of the car.

Help!

Tim Durer
73 Lebaron