Re: IML: A Purchase for My Wife

Your wife's 1955 New Yorker Deluxe is just as smaller version of the
Imperial.  The basic body, engine and transmission are the same (if the
Imperial has Powerflite).  The suspension on the New Yorker is the same as
the 1956 Imperial - coils in front and leaf springs in the rear.   As the
New Yorker is a few hundred pounds lighter than the Imperial (4,160# vs.
4,575#), power will be no problem.   Remember - all Imperials used the same
engine as the New Yorker (New Yorker Deluxe in 1953-55), so the 1955 New
Yorker shared its engine with the 1955 Imperial..

As a matter of fact, the front fenders, all doors and all glass on your 1956
Imperial sedan is the same as the 1955-56 Chrysler New Yorker sedan.   The
lever-shift Powerflite has an excellent track record just as the later
pushbuttons do.  As with all pre-1957 Mopar products, they are very tough
and reliable cars and in their day had few owner complaints..

If your wife likes the Imperial, she will love the New Yorker.  With the 7"
shorter wheelbase the New Yorker will be more maneouverable than the
Imperial but just as roomy and comfortable.  (The extra length of the 1956
Imperial is in the trunk.)

The big difference will be in parts availablity, with 33,342 1955 New Yorker
sedans built (plus 63,896 Windsor sedans) vs.6,821 1956 Imperial sedans.

Bill
Vancouver, BC