Marty

From: "Dick Benjamin" <dickb@xxxxxxxxx>

Marty;

If you read my write-up on the refurbish of my 67,  one of the things I cover in some detail is removing/installing the engine and transmission as a unit ? so rather than type the whole thing again, I?ll ask you to just go there and see if that answers your questions.

The link is http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1967/DickBsRefurb/index.htm

Click on that, then wait for it to load, then scroll down to Chapter 6 (reassembly), and then down to ?engine and transmission?. .

While the 66 is probably  different in some details, the 67 and 68 manual state that the transmission should be removed separately, and for someone without a good set of body jacks, that is probably the best course of action.   Note that I had to elevate the rear of the 67 body almost 3 feet to get all the angles right, and also that I have a rocking saddle hookup to adjust the front/rear tilt of the engine to ?shoehorn? it in there without damaging the front structure of the car or hitting the tail shaft on the floor.

If the 66 manual makes the same statement, you will be pioneering, but I?d certainly try to do it that way anyway, if it is possible, to avoid having to install the transmission to the engine in the car.

I had no trouble buying parts I?ve needed from NAPA stores ? the 440 was made well into the 80s as a truck and motor home engine, so parts are still readily available.   My 67 did not need many parts, (it was a low mileage car) but my 68 had 130,000 on it when I redid it, so all the parts you mention were replaced with parts from NAPA, except the camshaft, which checked out as perfect.  The camshaft specs are given in the FSM, which is also available on the IML site.

Dick Benjamin